The U.S. will impose tariffs on $7.5 billion worth of goods from the European Union (EU) starting October 18.
A Final Product List from the United States Trade Representative (USTR) lists the various products on which additional import duties will be imposed. The majority of goods are agricultural products including cheese and clothing.
The Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) reports the list also includes some heavy machinery and tools. This could impact many of its member companies who do business with companies in the EU.
AEM says member companies should pay particular to attention to the following sections in the tariff list:
Part 11 – Products of Germany described below are subject to additional import duties of 25 percent ad valorem:
- 8201.40.60 Axes, bill hooks and similar hewing tools (o/than machetes), and base metal parts thereof
- 8203.20.20 Base metal tweezers
- 8203.20.60 Pliers (including cutting pliers but not slip joint pliers), pincers and similar tools
- 8203.30.00 Metal cutting shears and similar tools, and base metal parts thereof
- 8203.40.60 Pipe cutters, bolt cutters, perforating punches and similar tools, nesoi, and base metal parts thereof
- 8205.40.00 Screwdrivers and base metal parts thereof
- 8211.93.00 Knives having other than fixed blades
- 8211.94.50 Base metal blades for knives having other than fixed blades
- 8467.19.10 Tools for working in the hand, pneumatic, other than rotary type, suitable for metal working
- 8467.19.50 Tools for working in the hand, pneumatic, other than rotary type, other than suitable for metal working
- 8468.80.10 Machinery and apparatus, hand-directed or -controlled, used for soldering, brazing or welding, not gas-operated
- 8468.90.10 Parts of hand-directed or -controlled machinery, apparatus and appliances used for soldering, brazing, welding or tempering
- 8505.11.00 Permanent magnets and articles intended to become permanent magnets after magnetization, of metal 8514.20.40 Industrial or laboratory microwave ovens for making hot drinks or for cooking or heating food
- 9002.11.90 Objective lenses and parts & access. thereof, for cameras, projectors, or photographic enlargers or reducers, except projection, nesoi
Part 13 – Products of Germany or the United Kingdom described below are subject to additional import duties of 25 percent ad valorem:
- 8429.52.10 Self-propelled backhoes, shovels, clamshells and draglines with a 360 degree revolving superstructure
- 8429.52.50 Self-propelled machinery with a 360 degree revolving superstructure, other than backhoes, shovels, clamshells and draglines
- 8467.29.00 Electromechanical tools for working in the hand, other than drills or saws, with self-contained electric motor
AEM recommends members become familiar with the full list of goods on which tariffs will be imposed. It is also actively working with Congress and the Trump administration to remind them of the potential damage the trade war is causing American businesses and consumers.