Leading online fresh food grocer FreshDirect and Foodily, the social recipe network, announced the launch of Popcart, a web technology that instantly turns any online recipe into deliverable groceries. Developed and powered by Foodily, Popcart allows consumers to browse any recipe – across more than 150+ million food websites and blogs – and seamlessly integrates the ingredients right into a shopping cart. FreshDirect is the first food business to launch this new technology.
Shopping recipes through this experience is simple:
- Download the Popcart bookmarklet
- Highlight ingredients from any online recipe and "Popcart it"
- Customize the order to your dietary needs and preferences
- Check out and FreshDirect will deliver the order as early as the next day
"The web is the number one resource for home cooks, but when you go from online to browsing to in-store shopping, buying the ingredients can take hours and be a deterrent to getting dinner on the table," said Andrea Cutright, chief executive officer of Foodily. "Popcart removes the friction from shopping for recipes, making meal planning more efficient than ever before."
Popcart addresses consumers' top routines, desires and challenges around preparing and shopping for food:
- Eighty percent of home cooks find recipes online (Allrecipes Measuring Cup Reports, 2014)
- Seventy-five percent of consumers prepare most of the food their family eats from scratch (FreshDirect Insights, 2014)
- In the past 10 years, the number of consumers that say shopping for ingredients is the hardest part about getting dinner on the table grew by 24 percent (Allrecipes Measuring Cup Reports, 2012)
"FreshDirect is always looking to innovate and make shopping for food easier," said Jodi Kahn, chief consumer officer, FreshDirect. "Popcart for FreshDirect enables customers to have a new way to shop the recipes they love and cook with the freshest ingredients from FreshDirect. We're thrilled to partner with Foodily to bring this new tool to FreshDirect customers and all who cook at home. This technology takes consumers from inspiration to preparation."