Lux Research’s new report, “Foresight 2021: Top Emerging Technologies to Watch,” identifies and ranks 12 key technologies set to re-shape the world.
“The agrifood ecosystem is experiencing a phase of rapid, intense change, where most of the growth in the space in recent years has gone to companies outside the top 20 players. As smaller and more agile brands meet consumer demand for personalization, larger brands will need to look for innovative solutions to regain lost ground and get ahead,” says Joshua Haslun, senior analyst at Lux Research.
From Lux Research:
- Bioinformatics. Having developed and risen to prominence largely focused on medical and pharma applications, bioinformatics is now crossing over into agrifood and health.
- Alternative proteins. Concerns about health and sustainability are pushing to diversify diets away from meat and fish, leading to changes ranging from land use to ingredient supply chains.
- Precision agriculture. Digital tools are continuing to revolutionize agriculture, improving product yield and quality and reducing environmental impact.
- Biofertilizers. Biofertilizers and other microbial biostimulants use living microorganisms to improve nutrient use efficiency and agriculture sustainability.
- Ingredient informatics. Applying machine learning to recipes and ingredients can produce new product formulations more quickly, rapidly accelerating new food product launches.