Kroger is attempting to appeal to customers once more by teaming up with Nuro to launch autonomous grocery delivery in Houston. The service will be available through two Houston Kroger stores, reaching customers in four local zip codes.
The companies have been operating together since August 2018 for a autonomous service in Scottsdale, Arizona. Since then, the partnership expanded to include Nuro's custom vehicle, R1, marking the nation's first fully unmanned delivery service available to the general public. The pilot proved the companies' combined technology and digital expertise can transform the grocery delivery experience. Together through the pilot, Kroger and Nuro have successfully and safely completed thousands of deliveries to customers in Scottsdale.
"Our Arizona pilot program confirmed the flexibility and benefits provided by autonomous vehicles and how much customers are open to more innovative solutions," says Yael Cosset, Kroger's chief digital officer. "It's always been our shared vision to scale this initiative to new markets, using world-changing technology to enable a new type of delivery service for our customers. We operate 102 stores in Houston—an energetic market that embraces digital and technology advancement. The launch is one more way we are committed to sustainably providing our customers with anything, anytime, and anywhere, the way they want it."
Autonomous Delivery Service Details:
- Where: Two Houston Kroger stores
- Store One: 10306 South Post Oak Road, Houston, TX, servicing 77401 and 77096
- Store Two: 5150 Buffalo Speedway, Houston, TX, servicing 77005 and 77025
- Customers across Greater Houston will continue to have access to the grocery delivery service currently offered by Kroger.
- When: Customers can place orders for delivery 7 days a week. The service will begin in both stores this spring.
- How: Customers shop via Kroger.com or the Kroger app and place orders based on slot availability.
- What: Grocery orders can be scheduled for same-day or next-day delivery by Nuro's fleet of self-driving vehicles, beginning this spring with Nuro's self-driving Toyota Prius vehicles.
- Price: $5.95 flat fee; no minimum order.