Plastic pallets are also finding a niche among recyclers. Unusable plastic pallets are frequently being ground into plastic flake to make new pallets.
"We offer a unique buy-back program that also supports our efforts to be environmentally aware," says Ralph Harris, president of Decade Products, Grand Rapids, MI, the exclusive supplier of Greystone plastic pallets. "It allows customers to turn in used pallets for recycling and earn credit towards the purchase of a new pallet."
Wood Pallets, At A Glance
- Wood pallets comprise 93 percent of the entire pallet market;
- Annual new pallet sales total $3 billion;
- Between 450 million and 500 million wood pallets are manufactured each year;
- Wood pallet manufacturing is the single largest use of hardwood lumber. Nearly 38 percent of America's hardwood lumber, or 4.5 billion board feet, are used to make wood pallets every year;
- About 270 million wood pallets are refurbished/repaired each year.
- Source: National Wood Pallet & Container Association, Alexandria, VA.